Friday, October 21, 2011

Happy birthday, Lorenzo!

Dean Wyatt Thorpe>Lorenzo Riggs Thorpe>Lorenzo Williams Thorpe

In honor of Lorenzo Thorpe's birthday, I thought I'd share what little I know about him.



Lorenzo was born 21 Oct 1856 in St Louis. His parents had already made the voyage across the Atlantic and were now preparing to cross the plains to be with the Saints, a journey they wouldn't complete until 1861. While working towards this goal three of their children died. Lorenzo was four when he finally crossed the plains, with his mother, father, and baby brother. They settled in Wellsville.

He died in 1928, at the age of 71, in Wellsville, of “an enlarged and infected prostate.”

Not much is known of the in-between. He was baptized in 1868 at the age of 11. I have him on the 1870 census  living in Wellsville with his parents. He married Mary Jane Riggs in 1876 and they had 10 children, eight of whom lived to adulthood. He went to the temple to do all of his work in 1903. I have his "pioneer poster" HERE.

If you have any more info on him, please leave a comment below.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to find your blog!!! My name is Mary Thorpe McBride and am also related to John and Hannah Thorpe, through James Alfred, Lorenzo's brother. I love fmaily history and was thrilled to find more information as I only have crumbs here and there. If you have any more information on them, or photos, could you share them with me. My email is marymomof4@gmail.com. Thank you for your blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete